the most beautiful Fall leaves in Boston / November 2019
The air is definitely not starting to have any hints of Fall here in San Diego. But I all too well know and remember that things are starting to change elsewhere. Having (mostly) patiently waited out the pandemic (which is sadly still very much ongoing), I am starting to feel a little stir crazy. We have diligently followed the rules, gone above and beyond what is required or suggested, and basically quarantined at home for the past five months. And now here we are. I’ve got the Fall travel ants in my pants, and I just can’t shake it.
I’ve been dreaming and manifesting travel for months now, but it’s looking like my big dreams of a European getaway aren’t going to be happening anytime soon. Probably not until 2021 realistically. So then there are my dreams of traveling to see our family. But for us, that also requires a flight since we live on the other side of the country from basically everyone we know and love. And then there’s camping. But the problem with that, is that we are in the heat of Summer here in California. And camping in 90° weather sounds even worse than just staying home for another week. (Plus, if you remember Ryan’s shoe melting incident, you know that we are all too aware of what camping in August in California is really like.)
So home we are, and ants in our pants we have. Besides passing the time fantasizing about what our travel itineraries would be, dreaming about real Fall weather, thinking about eating butter burgers, and savoring the warm embrace of family, I’ve been Googling the heck out of things like “flying right now” or “air travel during Coronavirus.” I mean yes, I know it’s a risk. And you know that our health and safety is our absolute first priority. But we’re now at the point where we’re starting to wonder if air travel is a risk that we are willing to take.
What I know for sure, is that something needs to change. I keep waiting for more people to take fighting this virus more seriously, but unfortunately it feels like the wait could be forever. And so it’s time for us to make a decision. We’re either booking a flight and traveling in full hazmat gear; or we’re camping in our guest bedroom until the heat passes. I’m feeling pretty confident about what our better option is, but I’d be curious to know what you think – have you flown lately, or in the past few months? Would you consider air travel before there is a vaccine? Do you feel like air travel is safe right now? Please send me all of your thoughts or recent travel experiences, because I am majorly needing some guidance!